Monday, August 29, 2011

The August Experiment

"Grow in Faith.  Fall in Love."


Oh yes.  That happened.  Needless to say August's experiment was a bust.  For the first 6 days I got ZERO hits.  Talk about a humbling experience.  Just when I thought the whole Christian online dating thing wasn't where I belonged (imagine that), I started getting a few views... and then more views... and then some messages...

Over the course of the month I was contacted by 25 men - the majority in their 40s, including one from Texas who is a self-proclaimed "ex-gay" (I'm tempted to pay the $30 monthly fee to be able to correspond more freely with him and help him out of his lie of a life).  53% of them are from small town suburbs of NYC, in fact only one was in the five boroughs.

In the initial messages I was told an array of things such as:

  • "I'm Jesus' favorite"
  • "Which Greek goddess best describes you?"
  • "I'm a great flirt.  Can I prove it?"
  • "I desire courtship"
  • "Your profile gave me a smile, so I thought I'd send you one in return"
  • And my personal favorite from a somewhat portly gentleman, "I'm attractive but not unto myself" which I have no idea the meaning.
And they were all politically conservative.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that, but somehow I still am.  The lesson I learned is that Christians looking online for other Christians to date are a bit smaller-minded than I'm looking for.  I did not go on any dates from this experiment, so August has been a little dry in the way of dating.  I think I only went on 2 dates total - both real... neither prospective.  On to September!!

No comments:

Post a Comment